Saturday, June 26, 2010

Ongoing post...

As of this moment I only have 1 follower, and as such much of what I'm posting here will be for myself. Just in case, if you do happen to wander upon my blog, here are some pieces of literature and music that I've recently (re)discovered and highly recommend.

-"The Angel's Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
It is whenever I pick up a translation of a novel by a great Spanish author that I dearly regret never having mastered the language. Zafon is a master storyteller, weaving a gothic tale of obsession, literature and reality set within the heart of Barcelona. It documents the life of an author operating under a pseudonym and the way in which reality and fiction blur into an indiscernible whirlwind. A beautiful and intriguing tale for all of those who find the quality of literature to be one containing more than mere fancy.


-"Nature" by Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Our age is retrospective. It builds the sepulchres of the fathers. It writes biographies, histories, and criticism. The foregoing generations beheld God and nature face to face; we, through their eyes. Why should not we also enjoy an original relation to the universe? Why should not we have a poetry and philosophy of insight and not of tradition, and a religion by revelation to us, and not the history of theirs? Embosomed for a season in nature, whose floods of life stream around and through us, and invite us by the powers they supply, to action proportioned to nature, why should we grope among the dry bones of the past, or put the living generation into masquerade out of its faded wardrobe? The sun shines to-day also. There is more wool and flax in the fields. There are new lands, new men, new thoughts. Let us demand our own works and laws and worship."




Dark, brilliant, captivating.


- Gogol Bordello, "Transcontinental Hustle"
Gogol Bordello is the perfect mix of blaring 90's punk and eastern european gypsy rock. It hits me in all of the right places, appealing simultaneously to my younger self, screaming revolution with her fist in the air and the nomadic gypsy within. "Transcontinental Hustle" speaks of revolution, love and the distance that a life on the road inevitably creates between the self and society.

8 comments:

  1. _Oh Inverted World_ has been my favorite album since hearing it a second time for nearly a decade now. Fwiw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow that just seems to fit all too perfectly. How goes life in Iceland? I must say, I'm rather envious of your expedition to various lagoons and glaciers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a fantastic time, actually, and am sad to see that it's coming to an end. One month left and then I'm back to the states for classes. Dread returning to responsibilities. How are your travels?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were wonderful, very much fun and filled with unique experiences but have sadly come to a close. I am back in San Antonio now and haven't a clue what to do with my time! What classes are you teaching this semester? I'm still not quite sure whether or not I'm coming back to UTSA, but it seems that the classes offered in their Phi. department are slim to none.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, can't get comments to post!

    Anyway, sorry to hear that your travels have to come an end for now. I'll be back in August to teach analytic phil (w/ heavy doses of phil mind), phil law, and advanced logic (modal logic and some basic metalogic). Let me know if you'll be back come fall,

    C

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work by Kimberly Dill is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at bleudaimonia.blogspot.com.